Sun. Oct 17th, 2021

Business News on the Fly

About Civil Celebrants In New South Wales

To be married in the state of New South Wales (NSW) in Australia you must be married by an authorised marriage celebrant and give notice of your intent to marry to that celebrant at least 1 month and no more than 18 months before the wedding ceremony.

There are four types of marriage celebrants recognized in the state of NSW: Commonwealth registered civil celebrants who perform non-religious marriage ceremonies, ministers of religion of a recognised religious denomination, Commonwealth-recognised religious marriage celebrants and state and territory officers.

A civil celebrant NSW must be registered with the Commonwealth and be included in the Register of Marriage Celebrants that is maintained as per the conditions set out in the Marriage Act of 1961. They must also hold either a Certificate IV in celebrancy from a registered training organization or a qualification in celebrancy awarded by an accredited university.