Teaching English to people with no prior exposure to the language can be difficult. Here are some tips for how to teach English to beginners:
• Keep it simple – start with simple words and use gestures to emphasize meaning when starting out with beginners.
• Check for understanding – some teachers make the mistake of thinking students have understood the meaning of a word when they haven’t; always confirm that they have.
• Give plenty of time to practice – provide lots of examples and ensure that students practice what you’ve taught.
• Use positive reinforcement – when students get it right encourage them with praise and avoid embarrassing students in front of others when they don’t.
• Show, don’t tell – students will always understand the meaning of a word better if you can use visual cues to emphasize its meaning; telling them doesn’t work half as well.