Are you prepared for your first formal dining experience? Remember, your etiquette is on display the moment you sit at the table. Knowing some basic table manners can help you feel confident and comfortable. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
Wait until everyone is seated. Don’t be the first to start eating.
- Place your napkin on your lap immediately after being seated.
- Keep your elbows off the table. Sit up straight and keep your feet on the ground.
- Use “please” and “thank you” when requesting or receiving items from others.
- Chew with your mouth closed and take small bites.
- Practice proper utensil use. The fork goes in the left hand, the knife in the right.
- Pace yourself with your eating. Don’t gobble your food.
Remember, formal dining etiquette shows respect to others around the table. It reflects your professionalism and maturity. Don’t worry if you make a mistake, most people won’t notice. Learn from it and move on. Enjoy your meal with confidence.